Wednesday, October 3, 2012

{a room for} my sunshine


We can’t give Maddie a new room and not give Evie one.  Especially since she will be moving from a crib to her first big girl bed.  But getting her room done by Christmas is probably not going to happen.  Perhaps it will be her second birthday present.  We’ll see how motivated I am and how well they nap over the next couple of months.  :)

Whether the room gets done this year or next, I wanted to share some of the ideas I had.  Unlike Mad’s soft and girlie room, I want Evie’s to be super bright.  I like the idea of bright furniture pieces and fabrics.  I also want a kind of quilt/fabric theme.  So without further ado, Evie’s future big girl room.

The room prep – Just like Mad’s room, a lot of basics need to get done
1.              Caulk trim
2.              Paint trim white
3.              Paint door white
4.              Spray paint hardware ORB
5.              Paint color – right now the room is a bright pink.  There is a white accent wall with a pink box in the middle we used to frame art that never really worked because Maddie would pull it off the wall (she was 2 at the time).  Now the box looks awkward because it is partially hidden by the bunk bed that is not centered like the other bed.  And the pink has been fun, but in such a small room it tends to dominate and make it feel smaller.  For a change and some light I’m thinking a bright, crisp white.  A bright orange accent wall is a maybe, but I’m afraid it might be too much with all the other color.


6.              Cover outlets – While this project is a maybe in Mad’s room, it’s a definite yes in Evie’s.  The fun in Evie’s room will be the mix of fabrics and patterns all in bright colors.  Covering the light switches and outlets each in a different bright scrap book paper will help add to that look.


The bed.  Evie will keep the bunk bed we purchased with the intent of putting the girls in the same room.  It will be great for sleep overs and the times the girls do need to bunk together when we have company.
1.              Bunk bed makeover – The bunk bed now is white…but not for long!  How fantastic is this teal bunk?  I’m kind of obsessed with the color teal as of late, in all shades and richness.  And how much fun contrast would it be up against an orange accent wall?  Yes please!  BTW – I totally want that mason jar chandelier for my dining room (a project planned in the distant future).

2.              Minky Rag Quilt – This quilt was my great inspiration for the room.  It’s bright and fun and, according to the tutorial, easy to make.  I’ve seen a version with the back fabric that super soft minky stuff they use for baby blankets.  That’s what I plan to use.  I hope it really is as easy as the tutorial says since I have to make 2.  The sheets will be white as a contrast against all the color in this beautiful quilt. 

3.              Letter pillows – I want to make at least one letter pillow for her bed.  It will likely be a K.  Since we use a nickname that begins with a different first letter than her name (Genevieve/Evie), letters for her first name don’t seem to make much since. 

4.              Misc patchwork pillows – lots of color and fabric!

5.              Bunk bed curtain – because why have a bunk bed if you can’t make it into a fort.

The furniture
1.              The dresser – this will likely be the only other main piece of furniture in the room.  Because of that I was a super vibrant piece.  Bright yellow will be a great contrast to the teal bed.  It will probably have to be a highboy because of the wall we have to put it on.

The lighting
1.              Ceiling light – I’m not sure what I want to do yet.  Whatever we do has to be fairly flush to the ceiling so that whoever is in the top bunk leaves it alone.  Anything that dangles would likely get pushed and broken.  Anyone have any thoughts?
2.              Button lamp shade – this lampshade is adorable.  It ties in with the mismatched bright theme and some button artwork I would also like to do. 

The curtains
1.              Ruffle valence – this valence is identical to the one I want to do in Mad’s room except that instead of tulle it uses different patterned fabric for each ruffle.  A perfect fit.

2.              Long curtains? – I’m unsure whether to do long curtains along with the valence.  There will be a lot of fabric on that side of the room and it seems a bit overkill.  If I do they will probably be just simple white curtains.
The artwork
Ribbon wreath – great for her door




Birds in a frame – birds will be another quiet theme in this room since I already have the mobile I made for her that is made of scrap fabric birds

Fabric covered name letters – again, something I made for her nursery that I already have





Other stuff
1.              Reading tent – there is a small corner of the room that we have a bean bag now that this would be perfect for. 

2.              Book holders – love these!  I’m thinking they can go on the wall in the bed or even on the foot of the bed.

3.              Geometric painted rug – I love this rug.  I would do exactly this, probably even in the same color.

4.              Brightly painted knick knacks – cheap and perfect    

You can also see lots more of my ideas and inspiration for Evie's future room in my pinterest board.

Now off to bed...


No comments:

Post a Comment