Tuesday, February 28, 2012

you say good-bye

What a week and weekend.  So much has been going on around here.  Here's a quick overview of our lives over the last few days.  Not everything is home related, but you can see what we've been up to.

Good-bye Malm
We sold our IKEA Malm bedroom set.  I know that's old news - I already had mention it in the post here.  The dressers are gone but the bed and headboard are currently sitting disassembled in our old bedroom/new playroom right now.  The woman who purchased them has already paid for them but has yet to make arrangements to pick them up.  She's trying to find a truck to transport them.  We may be able to help her with that soon, but more on that later.

Good-bye Sante Fe
We sold our Hyundai Sante Fe (finally!).  I think we had been listing the car on and off for the last 6 months.  We started trying to sell it when Steve lost his job.  While we no longer needed to sell it the idea of not having a car payment was too good to pass up.  So we sold her.  She was a fantastic car.  I highly recommend the Sante Fe to anyone looking for a good SUV.  She just wasn't what we needed anymore and was too expensive for us.  So, now she is with her new owner - a single mom of 3.  We didn't get exactly what we wanted for it, but enough.  Enough to get us a little truck that Steve can use for baseball and a to and from park and ride car (and we can use around the house for projects).  So we are currently down to 1 car.  It's kind of nice.  I can say that because I haven't had much change.  Steve, on the other hand, has been taking brisk walks to the park and ride in freezing weather.  I don't know how he feels about the one car thing right now.

Car shoppin'
Now that the Sante Fe is gone we have been looking at trucks.  Little trucks.  Like Rangers and S10s.  We looked at a couple of F150s, but they aren't quite what we need.  We would like to get a truck that gets fairly good gas mileage, has some kind of extended cab (for Steve's baseball stuff), but is a truck.  That's why Rangers and S10s work best for us.  We will have to see what we end up with.  :)

Julie Keating, NAC
I took my nursing assistant certified state test this weekend and passed!  Hooray!!!!  I was really worried.  I didn't study at all for the written and only crammed for a couple of hours for the practical.  Luckily it wasn't too bad.  I wasn't worried so much about having to retest and not getting my license right away as I was for having to pay to retest.  The class was already quite expensive, and then the testing cost on top of that.  But here I am, certified.  I'm going to have to start looking around for something part time that I can work into our already very busy schedule.  I need to start clocking hours for my nursing school application.

The Leak
Our tub has a crack.  And a leak.  We saw the crack appear a couple of weeks ago but it appeared to just be the surface of the tub.  We were hoping that at least.  I had been routinely checking downstairs for any signs of leakage and watching the crack for any bubbling.  I saw none - until yesterday.  There, on the ceiling, were the telltale signs of water leakage.  My first though was $%(*!  Then I calmed down.  I thought that we would have to replace the whole tub (which is the reason we had just been keeping an eye on the crack and not fixing it).  Well, that appears not to be the case.  Home Depot sells a fiberglass tub repair kit.  I got the last one they had in stock.  I have yet to try it because I am letting the area under the tub dry out some more.  I also opened up the drywall on the ceiling to check how bad the water damage was.  It doesn't look too awful.  I was expecting the worst knowing how long the crack had been there.  I will post a full tutorial on tub crack repair when I do finally get to repairing it (which will be soon!)

Other stuff
The new lights are hung downstairs.  I'm waiting to post them because I still have to finish the hanging lamp project which will take several days.

The closet doors are hung but not yet repaired.  Once I get a little touch up paint on them I will post a tutorial on how (not) to hang closet doors.

We will also have to have a little tutorial on how to patch drywall now that there is a large L-shaped hole  in our bedroom ceiling.  

That's the quick update.  I'm hoping that I can get on top of some of these projects so I can have some full posts soon.  I feel like we are right in the middle of a bunch of stuff right now.  Soon, people, soon.  :)


1 comment:

  1. Oh good luck!! Your crazy busy life sounds just as crazy and busy as ours! Transition periods are exhausting at times, but hopefully you guys will get all the little things wrapped up beautifully!

    ReplyDelete