Tuesday, February 21, 2012

completing project boring

We're still chugging away at completing project boring.  Today I finished priming and put one coat of paint on the closet doors.  I'm in Chem class right now (don't worry, we're reviewing our last exam, I'm not missing much), but when I get home I'm hoping to put the final coat on and call part 2b done.  I'm stopping with that for now.  I know that if I keep painting doors in the mindset I'm in now that I'll just get sloppy.  I'm soooo done painting doors.  It's time for a project that has a little more wow.

So, this is exciting.  I've been reading about Hobby Lobby in a bunch of online blogs for a while now.  I had never been to a Hobby Lobby.  I thought they were a midwest/east coast thing.  On a whim the other night I decided to search for the nearest Hobby Lobby.  Low and behold, there was one in Lynnwood.  The girls and I took a little trip out after Maddie's gymnastic class to find this said Hobby Lobby.  And where was it?  In the old GI Joes sporting goods building.  I asked the checker hhow long they had been there and she said since Halloween.  Apparently I hadn't been that way in a while.  Granted, it's kiddy corner from Joann Fabric but, it was hidden by a Jiffy Lube.  



Of course, we didn't leave empty handed (though we nearly did since Mad had a world ending melt down mid isle).  I got some rope and glue for my lamp project and some gorgeous fleur de lys drawer pulls for the new nightstand/dresser.  I'm kind of in love.  I think I'll still be hitting Joann for fabric and yarn since their selection is awesome, but my other craft supplies may be from the land of Hobby Lobby (or, as Mad says, hobba globby).



Tomorrow is Maddie's day at daycare, so on top of studying for classes and my NAC state exam (that's this weekend - ahh!), I'll hopefully be hanging lights and moving our bedroom downstairs.  Yay!  It's moving day!

I wanted to update everyone on the craigslist finds.  I told you we got a new bed and night stand, but didn't discuss the price.  The wrought iron bed I was thrilled about.  It cost $100, which is more than I had wanted to spend, but is well worth it.  I had been obsessively checking craigslist every hour browsing craigslist regularly for the last month and all the wrought iron beds were either very expensive, too scrolly, or spoken for by the time I emailed.  It was frustrating.  This bed I found 30 minutes after it posted, which I'm sure is the only reason we got it at all.  The night stand was $20 (talked down from $30). 




 So do you want to hear the best part of all of this?  We sold our old bedroom set for $440!  Yup, that's a $320 gross.  Holla.  Of course, that's pretty close to what we had paid for the set (the headboard shelf and bed were new on sale and the dressers were bought on craigslist).  But still, that's 3 years of use and getting our money back.  Not too shabby.  




I hope to have some fun before and afters for everyone in the next couple of days.  You'll hopefully get one of the 1/2 way done bedroom by the end of the week.  That also means that the playroom will be empty and ready for some work (once we get a little more money saved).  First things first will be polying the wood floor.  Then some paint.  And then reinstalling some built in billys!

Anybody else work on some projects over the long weekend?  Our friend Jamie made a super cute kid area in the weird nook by her stairs.



So cute, right?

3 comments:

  1. Okay- first of all... I love you. No, seriously... I love you. You are an amazing woman... wife, mother, student, and DIYer to the max! You are my hero.
    Second of all... we have the SAME bedroom furniture, or... err... we did. I guess I'm pretty stylish if I picked out the same bedroom as YOU!
    Third... I LOVE YOUR BLOG. :) It's like a... a good guilty pleasure!! While you are so much better to stay tuned-in on than the Kardashians... and while my hubby complains about me watching them on a totallynotregular basis (okay, at least an episode a week!)... he would ban me from the computer if he knew one of my friends was such a DIYer, and that her hubby was along for the ride!! He always whines about projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Krystle, you're so sweet! It's definitely motivated the progress more by keeping a blog. Although Steve did say to me today that 4 out of 5 days when he comes home their is something different in the house. What can I say? I like change.

      Steve loves home improvement but sometimes lacks the umph to get started. I light the fire and then he keeps it going. We're a pretty good match that way. :)

      My husband is on my case all the time about reality TV! I'm not so much a Kardashian girl as a Real Housewives (and pretty much every Bravo show ever) girl. He has sports, I have trash TV. I think that's why he's been begging for us to get a second TV.

      Delete
    2. It's not a lack of "umph" - it's just basic exhaustion from all the other things I do. :)

      Delete