Saturday, October 13, 2012

butterfly wall art

Are you ready for some super cute, super easy, super girlie artwork???  Ok then.

When I was looking all over pinterest for inspiration for Maddie's room I came across this adorable wall art from notonthehighstreet.com



I loved everything about it - the swirly letters, the patterned butterflies, the shadow box.  But the price tag was $82.65.  No thank you.  Not that it's not worth it, it's just not in our budget.  But not to worry.  I figured the idea was simple enough, so I decided to make it on my own.

Here is the supplies list
1.  Picture frame
2.  Computer/Printer/Paper
3.  Scrapbook paper in 1 or more patterns
4.  Small butterfly punch
5.  Craft glue
6.  New pencil (or something to press the butterflies into the glue)

I gathered and purchased the supplies I needed.  First was a Ribba frame from IKEA.  Since the IKEA white was not what I wanted I ended up spray painting it pink.


I also bought a small butterfly punch and 2 pieces of scrapbook paper from Joann Fabrics.



Once I had everything I had to print out the name "Madeleine".  I simply went into Microsoft Word, chose a font I liked, made it the size I thought would work best in the frame, picked a color (I just used gray) and printed.  Then I used the insert from the Ribba frame and cut the paper to the appropriate size.    



Since the frame was slightly larger than paper width, I trimmed down the paper on all sides and glued it onto the gray insert so it would have a gray outline.  I just used regular white computer paper, but you could use card stock or any color you want.


Then I started punching away.  I used 2 different scrapbook paper patterns and cut out 12 butterflies of each - a total of 24.

I noticed when proofing that you can see our new dog Sunshine under the table.  You can't tell from the picture, but she is really cute!  :)


Then I took each butterfly and gently folded it in half to give it a little lift from the page.


I squirted a little craft glue onto a cute pink baby plate and lightly dipped the folded edge of the butterfly into the glue.  


With the glue on the bottom of the butterflies I placed them in a random pattern around the name.  With each butterfly I used a clean pencil eraser to push them onto the paper.


Here is the paper with all the butterflies glued on.


When the glue was dry I placed it into the frame and - wah-lah - beautiful butterfly name art.




Project Cost
Frame - $10
Spray paint - $0 (already owned)
Butterfly punch - $14
2 pages scrapbook paper - $1
Glue - $0 (already owned)
---------------------
Total - $25


Once more for the inspiration


And the final product






No comments:

Post a Comment