Monday, October 15, 2012

silhouette art

This little craft has no inspiration piece (not that silhouette art is unique, by any means).  I was reading through a couple of the blogs I subscribe to and one of them mentioned that they wanted to do some silhouette art of their kids, but that they hadn't gotten around to it yet.  I thought that would be a fantastic addition to Madeleine's ballerina princess room. 

At the last trip to IKEA I had picked up a bunch of frames for the art I wanted to make.  I ended up getting a couple extra frames when I came across these Kvill frames.  I thought they would fit perfect into Mad's room, even if i didn't have a plan for them yet.



The round one looked perfect for the silhouette art - just like cameo jewelry.  I spray painted the frame pink (of course).  If you have been reading the last couple of posts, don't worry.  I haven't sprayed all the frames pink.  You'll see more variety in the next couple of days.  :)

Right before we loaded into the car to take Maddie to preschool one day I made her stand against the wall and take a picture of her from the side.  It took a couple of attempts.  I finally got the one I wanted and off we went.  Later in the day I uploaded the photos to my computer.  I moved the one I wanted to Word and sized it to the size I thought would fit best in the frame (about 3" x 4").  Then I printed it out on the laser printer.


Then I simply cut her picture out from the printed page.  Unfortunately it wasn't especially clear on the printed page (probably because the picture was a bit blurry).  I was still able to get the basic outline of her face.  



From there I placed it on the frame to make sure it was the size I wanted.




 I used the cut out picture of Maddie's profile and traced it onto some black paper.  Once I was satisfied with the outline I cut it out.  I did have to do some minor tweaking when I cut, but the end product did look like a profile of Maddie.


I had bought a piece of woven gray scrapbook paper for a future project and decided that it would be the perfect background for this.  I used the insert from the frame to cut out the scrapbook paper to the proper size,  Then with a glue stick I glued the silhouette to the center of the paper.  Once it was dry I popped it into the frame.  Tah-dah!  Beautiful and sentimental silhouette art of my beautiful Madeleine.


Project Cost
Frame - $5
Spray paint - $0 (already owned)
Gray paper - $1
Black paper - $0 (already owned)
Misc supplies (glue, scissors, computer, camera, etc) - $0 (already owned)
------------------------
Total - $6

I'm so happy with the final result.  It's perfect for her room!



2 comments:

  1. The most impressive part of this project - getting Maddie to stand still long enough to have her profile picture taken. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!! So new, yet classic! I love the frames as well- thank you Ikea for realizing that not everyone wants everything to be be modern/contemporary in their house!
    Great job Julie!!

    ReplyDelete